Hashtag celebrates 10 years of trending
Hashtag celebrates 10 years of trending
Did you know that the term “hashtag” is already 10 years old this past Wednesday?
The term, which defined as a word or phrase preceded by a hash or pound sign (#) and used to classify, categorize and identify messages on a specific topic, was first used on August 23, 2007, by Chris Messina when the American tech evangelist tweeted about barcamp.
how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #barcamp [msg]?— ⌗ChrisMessina (@chrismessina) August 23, 2007
Since then, the hashtag has become a part of the common vernacular on the micro-blogging site, as it covers certain word-categories from monumental world events and awareness campaigns to weekly throwback pictures.
And other social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook followed suit.
For the past ten years, Filipinos had been incorporating hashtags into their everyday lives. For oftentimes, it is used as a tool to encourage people to join the conversation in a variety of categories and titles such as current events surrounding entertainment, politics, and others. That said, Twitter released the top 10 hashtags that have been used in the Philippines.
- #PHElections. This hashtag was launched in the year 2016, in connection with the campaign phase during the Philippine election period, which enables and encourages everyone to be more active in social media discourse on who is worthy to be the next President.
- #AlDub. The official namesake for the on-screen love team of Alden Richards and Maine “Yaya Dub” Mendoza, a move that made GMA-7 and TAPE’s Eat Bulaga being the most-watched noontime show and amassing a massive fanbase here and abroad with reportedly 11 million tweets posted per day, and at least 350 hashtags since their rise to prominence. AlDub also earned them the distinction as part of the Guinness World of Records for having more than 40 million tweets in a single day.
- #OTWOL. On The Wings of Love has been racking massive tweets during the primetime hours of 2015. The romantic comedy soap opera starred James Reid and Nadine Lustre, depicting the life of Clark and Leah, respectively.
- #KathNiel. The love team of Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla became an instant hit in the early 2010s when they were cast as part of the program Growing Up. Just like some of the most-beloved past and present loveteams, their on-screen tandem eventually grew from having no chemistry into friendship and real-life partners
- #EpilogueinManila. Korean boyband Bangtan Boys or BTS staged their concert in the Philippines on July 2016, and fans have since expressed their admiration and love for the group; thus, signifying how Korean Pop or KPop has been a phenomenon on both Asian and Worldwide music scenes in the recent years.
- #LawinPh. One of the strongest typhoon that plagued the Philippines in 2013, resulting in 18 casualties, and damage to agriculture worth Php 10.2 Billion
- #Haiyan. The international name of the strongest typhoon the world has ever witnessed in 2013. It entered the Philippines with the localized name of Yolanda and wreaks havoc across the central regions of the archipelago; leaving an estimate of 10,000 casualties in the province of Leyte, Samar, and other provinces in the Visayas. People from around the world, including celebrities, expressed their sympathy for the victims.
- #PapalVisitPH. The visit of Pope Francis in Manila and Leyte, Philippines was held on January 15-19, 2015. It was the first Papal visit in over two decades or since Pope John Paul II during the World Youth Day in 1995. It was reported that this hashtag amassed more than 3.3 million posts, with tweets regarding the event peaked at 3,664 per second on January 15.
- #MissUniverse2015. A memorable and historic night in the world of beauty pageant when Pia Wurtzbach emerged as the 2015 Miss Universe. But it happened in a very controversial fashion after host Steve Harvey committed a very critical mistake on announcing the winners.
- #Walangpasok. This has been one of the often-seen hashtags, containing posts related to the announcement of the suspension of classes due to either typhoon or other unforeseeable events.
Aside from seeing some of the top Philippine trends, Twitter listed some of the items that had become a hit in the past ten years using the hashtag.
Hashtags were such a big thing in the entertainment world, especially during awards night. In fact, these five hashtags were used to either vote for an award or just posting about a certain special event. And believe it or not, they were used for over three billion times.
Some of these five biggest hashtags were used to vote for artists:
In sports, Football proved that they are the most popular sport in the world, and hashtags are one of its living testaments to that. The most used global sporting event hashtag is the #Euro2016 while the most Tweeted sporting event hashtag in the US is the #SuperBowl. #NFL has been the most-tweeted about league while #MUFC is for the team.
And from 7,000 in 2007, there are around 300 million posts talking about this year’s most-popular hashtag. And we’re not even talking about the always-tweeted #FollowerFriday or #NowPlaying here.
At present, there is an average of 125 million hashtags tweeted per day, based on an average daily gathered from July 1 through early August.